Thread: which emotions music makes us feel

which emotions music makes us feel

I'm new to this forum, so hello everyone! I am an MIR researcher and I am working on musical emotion.

Recently I've become interested in how emotions get expressed in different musical genres. This is because the features that you can use for genre recognition (loudness, timbre, tempo) are also applicable for emotion recognition.

I've started to study those things and discovered that emotional terms describe different things in different genres. Listeners of classical music feel "amazement, wonder" when they hear quick, joyful music, while listeners of electronic music feel amazed when they hear dark, awe and fear inspiring music. For listeners of classical music nostalgia is a sorrowful and tragic feeling, and for listeners of rock term "nostalgic" applies more to quite, slow and calm pieces.

Ambient music is all about creating atmosphere by using timbres, harmonies, so it's particularly interesting for me!

Currently I am conducting a study, so if you can participate, please do so! You can fill in a questionnaire where you can listen to music (takes around 10 minutes), you will discover some new music and in the end also get feedback about your preferences and your similarity to other people.

In order to take part in the study go to http://www.emotify.org.

Thanks to everyone who will choose to contribute to the project and may be you also have some thoughts on how ambient is different in its emotional expression strategies from other genres?

Hello, and welcome to AMFCOM!

It is pretty cool i think that you are studying the connections between emotions and music. I have done some amateur research myself at work (i work in the ambulance), and found ot that when i play some cheerfull music, people feel better, and they actually, and this i think is pretty awesome, forget some of the pain! They concentrate on the music and kind of drift into an euphoric state of mind. I also tried puting on some nostalgic music to some elderly patients, and they actualy startet remembering things, so i have huge faith in ambience as "medicine"!

I will gladly take part of your study! And please, keep me updated in your work, because this is a field i find quite interesting!

Actualy, i don't think ambience is so much more different than other genres when it comes to emotional expression, because there is a mindmade ambience in most songs we listen to. We create memories when we hear a song in a special setting, and some songs may remind us about that same memory trough lyrics. We create an emotion that is tracked down when we hear that special song. The only difference is that ambient artists make music to directly connect to those feelings. And a lot of those artists express their own feelings trough ambience, which makes it easier for the listener to track down the same emotions.

I believe that practically all music are some sort of ambient, but they get split up in genres after the style and type of ambience. Example: when i hear avicii's "levels", i get a feeling that i've only had one time before, thus, i have created a feeling and a memory that only this song may trigger again. If you know what i'm saying.

I hope this was some help for you, and i hope my opinions may lead to a discussion! Also let me know if you agree or not

-Boarderlands

WHY DOES MUSIC make us feel? On the one hand, music is a purely abstract art form, devoid of language or explicit ideas. The stories it tells are all subtlety and subtext. And yet, even though music says little, it still manages to touch us deep, to tickle some universal nerves. When listening to our favorite songs, our body betrays all the symptoms of emotional arousal. The pupils in our eyes dilate, our pulse and blood pressure rise, the electrical conductance of our skin is lowered, and the cerebellum, a brain region associated with bodily movement, becomes strangely active. Blood is even re-directed to the muscles in our legs. (Some speculate that this is why we begin tapping our feet.) In other words, sound stirs us at our biological roots. As Schopenhauer wrote, “It is we ourselves who are tortured by the strings.”

Music is a purely abstract art form, devoid of language or explicit ideas. The stories it tells are all subtlety and subtext. And yet, even though music says little, it still manages to touch us deep, to tickle some universal nerves. When listening to our favorite songs, our body betrays all the symptoms of emotional arousal. The pupils in our eyes dilate, our pulse and blood pressure rise, the electrical conductance of our skin is lowered, and the cerebellum, a brain region associated with bodily movement, becomes strangely active. Blood is even re-directed to the muscles in our legs. (Some speculate that this is why we begin tapping our feet.) In other words, sound stirs us at our biological roots. As Schopenhauer wrote, “It is we ourselves who are tortured by the strings.”

MS Ramaiah Institute of Technology Bangalore
    Nitte Meenakshi Institute of Technology Bangalore
    PES University Bangalore Admission
    RNS Institute of Technology Bangalore
    RV College of Engineering Bangalore Admission
    SJB Institute of Technology Bangalore