Thread: Tips on music hunting

Today is going to be a good day Will's Avatar

Tips on music hunting

I'd like to compile a list of the best resources for tracking down ambient music, I'll sticky this thread and update the first post as we go. Please post your ideas and resources in this thread.

1. Tunatic - With Ambient music being far from mainstream, it's rare this great little program can find what you're looking for. However it has pulled some good finds out of the bag now and again.
    2. Google lyrics - an often extremely effective way of sourcing music, if you can google just a few of the lyrics, you'll often find they'll lead to the song you're looking for.
    3. Ask on Yahoo questions - If you hear some music you love on a an advert or something similar, ask around on the net what it is. Chances are you're not the only one who likes it, and chances are that someone somewhere knows.

Guide to asking on forums:
    Give as much detail as possible, not matter how irrelevant it may seem. Include when you heard it, where you heard it, what instruments were used, any lyrics you remember, what did the voices sound like, what was it's style, what was it similar too. Every little thing you can think of may be the one clue that helps.

Gran Torino
    Wow! That's an awesome program and I can't believe it's free. As soon as I get home from work, I'm going to download it.

My methods of finding music are a little more hit and miss. First, I hope that where I'm hearing it from, usually online, has some kind of reference to it, but if not, I try to find any kind of lyric or vocal sample in the song.

For example, I heard Forest play a song from Banco De Gaia, and there was a vocal sample of a man saying "I've been waiting a long time for someone like you to record this moment"...

Well I googled that phrase, with the words Ambient Music next to it and was able to find what I was looking for with a little digging.

Today is going to be a good day Will's Avatar
    That's a good one, I often use this method, I'll add it to the list.

| broken harbour |
    I often check out what other artists I like listen to. Steven Wilson's turned me on to a ton of stuff.

SIM37
    I use a free Android app on my phone called SoundHound. It does pretty much what Tunatic does. Not sure if the databases are the same. I think I'll try Tunatic just for the heck of it...

Autumn
    Quote Originally Posted by SIM37 View Post
    I use a free Android app on my phone called SoundHound. It does pretty much what Tunatic does.
    Is there any kind of computer software (not cell phone app) that could be download and used for finding music?

SIM37
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
    Is there any kind of computer software (not cell phone app) that could be download and used for finding music?
    The program Tunatic mentioned above says it does pretty much the same thing. But you'll need a microphone connected to your computer.