Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ambient Music Festivals

Today is going to be a good day Will's Avatar

Ambient Music Festivals

Has anyone reading this been to any ambient music festivals, does such a thing even exist as a pure ambient music festival? Would a pure ambient festival work?

I think you'd still need something with some beats there as well, as people still want to be able to get down, so to speak. Maybe some of the Psyambient that psyamb has introduced us to.

Found one link which has some festivals which all involve ambient music, but again not a dedicated festival.

http://www.starsend.org/events.html

Anyway, what do you guys think? One of my ambitions has been to throw my own music festival. So, any suggestions on what it should involve would be appreciated in case I ever do decide to do one.

DRONECELER
    You know what, I would love to see something like an Ambient festival happen, we have 'The Big Chill' but it's not really ambient in the sense that I mean.
    How about this? an ambient minimal drone festival! you could have Stars of the Lid and the music of Celer being celebrated, that would truly be a chilled festival, you could have big comfy chairs all over the place and just relax and get in to the sounds, there could be field recording sessions with Ian Hawgood and The Green Kingdom too.
    It would take a lot of thought and planning but if an ambient festival came within 500 miles of where I live I'd go, peace DRONECELER.

I was at the big Chill last year, I had a great time - although I'm told it's not what it used to be. Not a particularly chilled affair I have to say.

I like the Sofas idea! I think if I were going to throw a festival I'd have different sections, so one would be drone, another soundscape, another psychedelia, etc.. The field recording sessions sounds fantastic too, that would add another dimension to the whole thing.

DRONECELER
    Yes, having the different sections would be a good way to do it.
    I love the idea of listening to field recordings whilst in a field, you'd have the natural organic sounds of the countryside around you and also some experienced field recording artists making gentle ambient sounds to compliment nature, wow I reckon that would be pretty amazing don't you??

Gran Torino
    I would love to take that a step further and find out about a club (or open a club myself) that plays Ambient music. I've always felt there are more of us out there that love this music than people think and a club that is all about being Chill and relaxed with Ambient music would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Gran Torino View Post
    I would love to take that a step further and find out about a club (or open a club myself) that plays Ambient music. I've always felt there are more of us out there that love this music than people think and a club that is all about being Chill and relaxed with Ambient music would be great!
    If such a place existed, I would so go there. The best I can give you for now is that 'Spheric Lounge' do live nights once a month in Munich, where lots of amazing talented German Ambient artists get together, and do the ambient equivilant of a jamming session. You should check out their web site! http://www.sphericlounge.de

catal
    You guys should check out some of the psychedelic festivals. Their chillout/ambient stages are usually full of quality performers!

For starters Boom festival's ambient paradise.
    http://www.boomfestival.org/boom2010....7.1.Chill.jpg

There are also a number of other festivals like ozora, etc. where chill stages have 24h/day music program during the 5 day festival...

99% of the psytrance festivals also have chill stages and there are a lot of them around the world, you can find them @ isratrance forum or goabase etc.

EJA
    I've been thinking more and more of the possibility of an Ambient Festival in New York City, where I live.

There certainly is an open attitude towards it, and already there exist places that are similar to the ideas expressed here. La Monte Young's Dream House is one of those: http://melafoundation.org/main.htm

I am very much trying to envision ways to get an event in NYC. Perhaps sometime this summer I'll start talking to certain venues and artists to start testing the waters...

Quote Originally Posted by EJA View Post
    I've been thinking more and more of the possibility of an Ambient Festival in New York City, where I live.

There certainly is an open attitude towards it, and already there exist places that are similar to the ideas expressed here. La Monte Young's Dream House is one of those: http://melafoundation.org/main.htm

I am very much trying to envision ways to get an event in NYC. Perhaps sometime this summer I'll start talking to certain venues and artists to start testing the waters...
    Please find a way, I could really use an excuse to visit New York again.
    Forum Admin Will

Feel free to contact me or PM me about anything.
    Remember - If you want your music reviewed, please return the favour and review other people's work.
    AMF - SoundCloud Group

Broken-Robot
    Not a festival, more an exhibition, but those willing to travel to France may be interested in this:

http://ultimae.com/en/news/428.html

I know this was last years one, but I think it happens every year. Those in England may be interested to know that Ultimae also do nights at Inspiral in Camden which I believe is purely ambient.

zv7ypl.jpg
    Last edited by Broken-Robot; 02-16-2012 at 10:41 PM.