Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some ideas

SIM37
    Gonna go ahead and give my suggestions:

Quote Originally Posted by EJA View Post
    -Price, if any?
    Maybe a simple, optional, high quality download for 5-10$(US), depending on how many tracks

-If there's a price, where will the funds go?
    Will. For the maintenance of the site.

-Artist rights, royalties, and the inevitable legal process of such an endeavor.
    I see the compilation as a promotional tool for the artists (myself at least) and AMF instead of a straight financial resource for the artist (although vicariously it could still be considered a financial resource, say if someone downloads a free mp3 version or pays for the high quality version and they like your music they may buy more straight from the artist )
    I'm not under any label so legal process is slim to none, I just want to get the music "out there", wherever "there" may be. The spreading of a band name, the reaching of minds, collecting, listening. And credit where credit is due is always nice - to know that people enjoy what you do.

EJA
    Everything looks good so far. I agree with funds going to the upkeep of the site.

There will have to be some legal process in which the artists who donate their music to the compilation agree as to how AMF can use the songs, promotional, etc.

I feel that the potential promotion that this compilation has to offer is more than enough compensation for contributing artists.

Today is going to be a good day Will's Avatar
    Time for me to weigh-in, I've been meaning to for days but work keeps getting in the way.

To start off with, I love the idea of this project and am fascinated to see where it goes. On the subject of money, the funding of AMF isn't a problem at all at this time, it's running costs are minimal and unelss that changes, I have no problem in bankrolling it myself - I do appreciate the offer though . In any case, I do plan on allow some advertising to take place on the site eventually - you can have my assurance that it will be entirely relevant though and there's won't be a google ad within a million miles of this site.

I DO think that money should go to the artists, everyone needs their bread and butter and if this compilation is means to funding artists and their music, I am massively for that. As for funding events and festivals, I like this idea very much but I think that should be a consideration for the future, but for now I say we keep things simple. There's no reason why we can't make more in the future - I certainly don't think we're going to run out of music and talent.

Of course, we could go for the free release option assuming artists are happy with that. It would certainly be a great promotional tool for AMF and a good exercise in putting together a compilation album. This is something ultimately we can agree on or put to a vote, or find a compromise that suits everyone - if possible.

I like the nominations idea, in that members can nominate each other for submission. I think this is a fair and simple way to do it. Final selections could maybe be put to a poll if need-be. I will create a submissions thread for artists to submit their music. I will also do the same for the album art.

Bandcamp seems sensible as a platform to release the album. I'm not too familier with the site, but I'll endevor to have a look and explore alternatives.

I think that's all points tackled for now. I'll get on with creating some submission threads, and I think I'll send out a sneaky mail to members too.
    Forum Admin Will

Feel free to contact me or PM me about anything.
    Remember - If you want your music reviewed, please return the favour and review other people's work.
    AMF - SoundCloud Group

Ceramic Skin
    I concur with utilizing bandcamp. If there is any kind of monetary compensation I believe it should be named by the purchaser with a low minimum having the funds go to the growth of the forum and funding potential future projects. Those artists that are selected to be on this album will benefit greatly by simply having there names and songs promoted, royalties distributed to them in my opinion would inevitably be clumsy and better allocated elsewhere.

Hitman Jenkins
    I agree with SIM on the money side of things, I'm not overly fussed about geting any money out of my project, I just want a new platform to promote my work as it's hard to find a good Ambient collective on the internet!

I would say put it as a "name your price" thing, with no minimum limit, that way you'll keep casual or first time fans happy and at the same time people who are more dedicated can make a donation if they choose to do so. I also think that the money should be allocated to the site or physical copies as well, the split will be ludicrous and no one would actually benefit from it unless it kicks off in a massive way.

Broken-Robot
    Looks like a fun idea. Looking forward to seeing how this comes along.

cloudsinanenvelope
    Hey guys, I was wondering if i would be able to make a mix for the compilation, maybe set up a soundcloud or put it up on mixcloud or something like that. what do you guys think?.

Today is going to be a good day Will's Avatar
    I think that would be a great idea Clouds, I was thinking of doing something like this myself, however I've tried to keep my hands off this project as I don't think it's my place to try and influence the results. I've been trying to think how this project can regain momentum and move forward. I think someone having a go at mixing together a compilation based on people's nominations is the way to go. But also, I think you should go with what you think is going to work best.

I'm totally behind this, I'm really eager to hear the results.
    Forum Admin Will

Feel free to contact me or PM me about anything.
    Remember - If you want your music reviewed, please return the favour and review other people's work.
    AMF - SoundCloud Group

cloudsinanenvelope
    Cheers Will, I still mean for a compilation release to go ahead, and this as just a means of promoting it with excerpts from the songs that have been nominated. I will need first the tracks though.

SIM37
    A Cloud mix/set sounds excellent, honestly. Some people may only have MP3s to share and BandCamp doesn't seem to want to accept them. Soundcloud has a wider range of acceptable file formats. My song that was nominated is an MP3, I don't have the higher quality files (RIP). I was going to try and maybe attempt to "remaster" the MP3 into a .wav but haven't gotten around to doing so and it might not work out to well.