Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some ideas

EJA

Some ideas

So here are a few ideas I had about how to organize the compilation album.

As far as selecting the tracks, I think a good method is to have people nominate songs from other artists. Then we could all perhaps go through an election process of what songs from that bunch would be good for the particular volume.

There's also the question of distribution. I think a physical distro for now might be a tall order. Instead, I think a dedicated bandcamp page might be great for this.

Then there's the question of whether or not the compilation should cost money and where the funds would go..

cloudsinanenvelope
    yeah i agree, a bandcamp page seems the right way to start off. Also, who would be doing the nominating?
    Last edited by cloudsinanenvelope; 02-23-2012 at 04:50 AM.

EJA
    I think we all could nominate each other. It will be a pure democratic and open process. Everyone can have a say in this.

There is the question of whether or not the compilation should be for purchase.

I'd be in favor of charging money for the compilation. I think the money should go to one of three places:

-Paying for server/domain costs to help keep AMF running

-Saving the funds to go towards either eventual physical copies of compilation discs or even to fund AMF sponsored events such as future ambient music festivals

-Artist compensation/royalties.

I'd be in favor of the first two. I don't care if I profit or not from such a compilation as a musician. I'd just like to see a good resource for ambient music and a boosting of community activity.

SIM37
    BandCamp - Agreed

As for tracks and nominations...
    We would need to find out who all can contribute music - then what songs are available in say a higher quality format because of BandCamps "requirements". Also, the non-musicians could be the nominators... or if there's not that many active we could just have the musicians pick one or two to contribute, depending on length.

You see, the ND releases I've been linking as free .rar's are all in MP3 format 320kbps or lower and I have very few of the original files to "re-render" as lossless .wav due to past computer crashes, especially the ambient pieces (although I have a few). If MP3's won't be a problem for BandCamp, for this AMF project, then awesome! I'll have a lot to choose from. It has also crossed my mind to just record a couple songs specially for this project, which I may still do even if I re-render the few original files I do have or if the MP3's are fine.

I feel it should be free but if we do a pick your price option maybe Will should handle that and put the money towards building up the forum. I'm not sure if this site costs money to run but the TSU forum site I've mentioned before have done similar "server fund raising" projects.

If money isn't really an issue we could just setup a AMF SoundCloud page and do a "set" or two. AMF might get more of an increase in attention/new members via SoundCloud because of it's networking capabilities and in-tack feedback. We could push the envelope and do both SC and BC, but that might be a little much for this project.

First things first, I think we need to see how many of the 90+ members are active on the site and are musicians who wish to contribute, then how many are active site appreciators who may nominate tracks.

SIM37
    Quote Originally Posted by EJA View Post
    I think we all could nominate each other. It will be a pure democratic and open process. Everyone can have a say in this.

There is the question of whether or not the compilation should be for purchase.

I'd be in favor of charging money for the compilation. I think the money should go to one of three places:

-Paying for server/domain costs to help keep AMF running

-Saving the funds to go towards either eventual physical copies of compilation discs or even to fund AMF sponsored events such as future ambient music festivals

-Artist compensation/royalties.

I'd be in favor of the first two. I don't care if I profit or not from such a compilation as a musician. I'd just like to see a good resource for ambient music and a boosting of community activity.
    Didn't see this till after I posted

Well put.
    I agree.

EJA
    The only problem with soundcloud is that they limit you to specific amounts of uploads unless you go for premium accounts (which I do not know the costs off the top of my head.)

I know that on my soundcloud page with a full album and 4 or 5 misc. audio files, I'm now allotted only 23 or so more minutes worth of audio. Bandcamp, as far as I know, is not as strict.

Bandcamp requires lossless formats. So FLAC, WAV, AIFF, etc. You may be able to convert mp3s over to these formats, I have no idea how this would affect the sound quality however...

I didn't think of a name your price option...it sounds good. I think the final decision to price should of course be Will's call.

As far as musicians, I'll just copy the list I have so far in my iTunes playlist from artists on this site:

Myself (EJA)
    Nueron Dreamtime (SIM37)
    Peter Fox
    Human-Robot Interaction
    MarroTech
    Ceramic Skin
    Sideswitch Sound (Side) - just ordered their cd

I know there are a few others on this site. Sorry if I didn't mention you.

SIM37
    yeah you're right about SoundClouds limit, it's 2 hours to start, which on second thought could easily be filled by ambient tunes given some of their epic lengths. Bandcamp FTW

I'll definitely try "remastering" some of the MP3s into .wav's and see what the result is like.

7 artists at 2 songs each = 14 tracks... not a bad starting point

cloudsinanenvelope
    I'm liking the idea of eventual physical copies, liking the idea of future ambient music festivals even more. I would be cool with charging money for the release but im just wondering who will buy it (other than maybe ourselves). And another idea i had was that we could maybe do the soundcloud but for the purpose of a sampler, so a single WAV file that contains parts of each track. I'm thinking of this as maybe a means of promoting it.

EJA
    If the goal is to generate funds to support AMF/go towards physical copies/music festivals etc. then we'd have to do some promotional stuff. I certainly agree with the idea of a single wav/aiff/flac/etc file that demos each track briefly. This could go on soundcloud and youtube with a picture of whatever cover art or logos etc.

EJA
    So here's just a sum of what we've discussed so far for the project:

Ambient Music Forum Compilation Volume 1
    -Featuring tracks from the musicians who frequent AMF
    -Tracks nominated and chosen democratically from the musicians on the forum
    -Available on BandCamp as a digital download (Price--if any--is TBD)
    -The first in many volumes

What needs to be decided:
    -Price, if any?
    -If there's a price, where will the funds go?
    -Artist rights, royalties, and the inevitable legal process of such an endeavor.